Monday, January 18, 2016

Do you use massage therapy in your acupuncture practice?

So little time...so many things to do in one treatment, right? I love to use massage therapy during, before, after, or all three along with acumoxa therapy treatments though there is often little time for it. Still, I have a few basics to share with you about how I work massage into my treatments since I think the power of touch can never be overestimated.
Here are a few ideas that I use regularly with my patients.

1. Rocking the body from the occipital ridge. This move can be used as long as you don't have needles in the head and the person is lying supine. Standing above the patient's head, place the fingers of both your hands (back of your hands on the table, fingers curled up) under the back of the head with the finger tips pressing lightly along the occipital ridge. Rock your fingers slightly toward yourself, as if you were beckoning someone toward you. This can be very gentle and small or it can be more forceful depending upon the patient's condition, how many needles you have in, and where they are placed. You will notice that this small movement will move the entire body down to the toes.

From a Western medical point of view, this moves the cerebral-spinal fluid, slightly stimulates the entire spine, relaxes the eyes, and increases blood circulation to the brain. It also relaxes the musculo-skeletal attachments along the base of the skull.

From a Chinese medical point of view it encourages increased flow of qi and blood to and from the brain via the foot tai yang and foot shao yang channels, and quiets and spirit.

30-60 seconds is adequate.

2. Dragging and pulling the toes. As long as there are no needles in the feet, this is a very easy thing to do and really grounding and relaxing to the patient. Remembering that all the foot yin and yang channels can be strongly accessed at the toes, releasing them in this way is usually appreciated unless the person is very ticklish!

Using your thumb and index finger, firmly and slowly pull each toe from its root to its tip. Take your time with this, sliding your fingers in between the toes. If you like, you can use a soft cloth to help you hold the toes and limit the tendency to ticklishness. This also is nice if it is summertime and people's feet are somewhat sweaty.

We are effectively opening all the foot channels (all the way to eyes, face, and chest) and releasing or relaxing the flow of qi with this movement. Be careful not to move the legs too much if you have needles there. Gentle but firm touch makes this powerfully relaxing.

If there are no needles in the arms, you can do the same thing with the fingers. Or, if you do have needles in the arms or feet, you can add this movement at the end of the needle portion of your treatment.

If you would like to see video of me doing these movements or if you have an interest in seriously combining acupuncture with bodywork, you might take a look at my short online video course on this subject, in which I share an entire approach to this type of work. All the Blue Poppy online courses are 30% off this month. I guarantee that 99% of your patients will love it!

Good luck and remember the power of body work in the context of your treatments.

10 comments:

  1. Great information provided on your blog. Very appreciating.8 Constitution Medicine is completely a new paradigm of healing which has revolutionized the entire mantle of traditional Chinese medicine.It teaches people how to live and what to eat, in order to heal and to prevent disease, and to create a healthy life.
    8 Body type Medicine

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way.Acupuncture in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these. It’s always useful to get pointers to the good blogs out there.

    You might also be interested to know more about our company - Parana Impact, which is one

    of the leading database marketing, data intelligence and digital marketing service

    provider. Suitable to small scale to large scale companies which will focus on driving more

    revenue and increase profitability.
    paranaimpact can get Acupuncturist

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice note thank you for sharing.Acupuncture is an effective form of medical treatment that has evolved into a complete holistic health care system. Practitioners of acupuncture and Chinese medicine have used this noninvasive treatment method to help millions of people become well and stay well.acupuncture wayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acupuncture treatment is very healthy care. Acupuncture method is very effective when anyone feel pain in back. massage Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Car Accident Massage In La Center, WA
    Welcome to All Ways Well, here you can find 3 easy steps to kick car accident back pain to the curb through our Car Accident Massage In La Center, WA.

    For More Info :- http://www.allwayswell.com/blog/category/car accident

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Written Blogs
    https://bodybalanceacupuncture.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

  9. I was born epileptic, but I am now free and cured with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worse headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sisters house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handles their epilepsy! So My sister friends Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who reside in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Genitals Herpes,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.

    ReplyDelete