Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chopping Wood and Carrying Water Amidst Mayans & Dragons

Many of us have seen and heard warnings and portents for this year…even a disaster movie called “2012” came out recently. But who of us can really know if the Mayans have their timing right? At the turn of the last millennium and many other times in history there were predictions about the end of the world as well, and yet here we are, still.

But if these were really end times, would you change what you are doing today or your plans are for the coming few months? Would you give everything away and go into a meditation retreat or get a non-stop party started? Would you take that trip with your spouse to Fiji that you’ve always dreamed of, embark on a quest, apologize to your worst enemy, start a non-profit foundation, or…would you simply keep treating patients, taking care of your family, doing your best to live well each day?

Since none of us know the day our own personal Armageddon will arrive, it’s probably not a bad idea to think about these things, Mayan predictions notwithstanding, and live accordingly as much as we are able.

Not to wax too philosophical or lose my sense of humor, here are some of my personal goals in 2012…and hopefully beyond.

  • I will make a new friend and reach out to at least one person I’ve not heard from in years. Why not?
  • I will deal with real problems that crop up as best I can, but not carry around worries and fears about imagined ones. It's usually hard enough to deal with what actually does happen much less what could happen!
  • I will take time for some exercise each day. It makes a difference no matter what else is going on.
  • I will start each day with the most important things that need to be done.
  • I will try harder to be courteous to everyone…it costs nothing and makes people happy.
  • I will take on at least one technological learning curve in 2012 (since many of them don't last more than a year anyway). Yikes!
  • I will tithe regularly. What goes around does come around.
  • I will be up early enough to greet the sunrise more days than not. I read somewhere that if you get up 1/2 hour earlier each day, you get an extra 7.5 days per year. I could use an extra week here and there, couldn't you?
  • I will reduce my personal possessions/projects/clutter by 10% or more by the end of the year. Whoa!
  • I will remember to be here now. If I’m not here now, sure as shootin’ I won’t be there then!

I’ll let you know how I did a year from now if we’re all still here!

Whenever the world ends for you, what do you want to know that you did-learned- shared-gave-loved-created-released to the best of your ability? Don’t wait! Don’t die wondering! I wish everyone a happy, productive, meaningful, fun and funny, lively, bubbly, zingy, roaring, powerful, and best-year-ever Year of the Dragon! Visit me on Facebook, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment